Alhijama is an Arabic word (a verbal noun) from the past tense verb (hajama) which means to suck with the mouth. Alhijama is referred to as bloodletting therapy or cupping therapy or wet cupping therapy.
Cupping therapy is a form of alternative medicine in which cups are placed on the skin to create suction, the cup mobilizes blood flow in order to promote healing.
Cupping is as old as history and it is, in Islam, a divine monistic norm explained by the venerated Prophet Muhammad who recommended it for his Ummah.
AHADITH NARRATIONS ON HIJAMA (CUPPING THERAPY)
Cupping (Hijama) Is The Best Of Remedies
# Anas ibn Maalik reported that the Messenger said, “Indeed the best of remedies you have is cupping (hijama)…” [Saheeh al-Bukhaari (5371)].
# Abu Hurairah reported that the Messenger said, “If there was something excellent to be used as a remedy then it is cupping (hijama).” [Saheeh Sunan abi Dawud (3857), Saheeh Sunan ibn Maajah (3476)].
The Angels Recommended Cupping (Hijama)
Abdullah ibn Abbas reported that the Messenger said, “I did not pass by an angel from the angels on the night journey4 except that they all said: Upon you is cupping (hijama), O Muhammad.” [Saheeh Sunan ibn Maajah (3477)].
In the narration reported by Abdullah ibn Mas’ud, the angels said, “Oh Muhammad, order your Ummah (nation) with cupping (hijama).” [Saheeh Sunan Tirmidhee (3479)].
Cupping (Hijama) Is A Preventative Medicine
Anas ibn Maalik reported that the Messenger said, “Whoever wants to perform cupping (hijama) then let him search for the 17th, 19th and 21stday (of the Islamic, lunar month) and let none of you allow his blood to rage (boil) such that it kills him.” [Saheeh Sunan ibn Maajah (3486)].
In Cupping (Hijama) There Is A Cure And A blessing
i- Abdullah ibn Abbas reported that the Messenger said, “Healing is in three things: in the incision of the cupper, in drinking honey, and in cauterizing with fire, but I forbid my Ummah (nation) from cauterization (branding with fire).” [Saheeh al-Bukhaaree (5681), Saheeh Sunan ibn Maajah (3491)].
ii- Jaabir ibn Abdullah reported that the Messenger said, “Indeed in cupping (hijama) there is a cure.” [Saheeh Muslim (5706)]. iii- Ibn Umar reported that the Messenger said, “Cupping (hijama) on an empty stomach is best. In it is a cure and a blessing…” [Saheeh Sunan ibn Maajah (3487)].
Cupping (Hijama) In Its Time Is A Cure For Every Disease
Abu Hurairah reported thatthe Messenger said, “Whoever performs cupping (hijama) on the 17th, 19th or 21st day (of the
Islamic, lunar month) then it is a cure for every disease.” [Saheeh Sunan abi Dawud (3861)].
Benefits of hijamah therapy
The following are some of its benefits:
- It helps tissues release toxins.
- It activates the lymphatic system.
- It stimulate blood circulation.
- It relieves muscles and joint pains.
- If performed properly, cupping is very safe and beneficial to maintain overall health.
- It enables the body to better oxygenate itself by cleaning the cardiovascular system and removing dead blood cells.
- Al-Hijama (Cupping Therapy) exert many health benefits e.g enhancement of immunity and pharmacological potentiation.
- It increases the effects of medicines in the body.
- It restores homeostasis. Homeostasis is the ability to maintain a relatively stable internal state that persists despite changes in the world outside.
- According to Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM), cupping helps to dispel stagnation, stagnant blood and lymph, thereby improving flow to treat respiratory diseases such as the common cold.
- It purifies the head and the jaw. Ibn al-Qayyim said: “Cupping under the chin is beneficial for pain in the teeth, face and throat, if it is done in it proper time.
- Cupping on the top of the foot is a substitution for the puncturing of the Saphena which is a large vein in the heel.
- Cupping the bottom of the chest is beneficial for the treatment of sores, scabies and mange on the thighs.
Salma, the servant of the Messenger said, “Whenever someone would complain of a headache to the Messenger of Allah, he would advise them to perform cupping (hijama).” [Saheeh Sunan abi Dawud (3858)].
Ibn al-Qaiyum (may Allah have mercy on him) mentioned that the Messenger was cupped on his head when he was afflicted with magic and that it is from the best of cures for this if performed correctly. [Zaad al Ma’aad (4/125-126)].
Abdullah ibn Abbas reported that a Jewish woman gave poisoned meat to the Messenger so he sent her a message saying, “What caused you to do that?” She replied, “If you really are a Prophet then Allah will inform you of it and if you are not then I would save the people from you!” When the Messenger felt pain from it, he performed cupping (hijama).
Once the Prophet travelled while in Ihram and felt pain and hence performed cupping (hijama). [Ahmed (1/305) the hadeeth is hasan (good chain with all the paths)].
4. Strengthening one’s intelligence and memory
Ibn Umar reported that the Messenger said, “Cupping (hijama) on an empty stomach is best. In it is a cure and a blessing. It improves the intellect and the memory…” [Saheeh Sunan ibn Maajah (3487)].
Jaabir ibn Abdullah reported that the Messenger fell from his horse onto the trunk of a palm tree and dislocated his foot. Waki’ said, “Meaning the Messenger was cupped on (his foot) for bruising.” [Saheeh Sunan ibn Maajah (2807)].
Other disease conditions cured or well managed with hijama and Herbal remedies include,
Diabetes, Malaria and Thypoid, Ulcer, Coughs, Blood pressure, Convulsion, Siezure, Infections, Hormonal imbalance, Erectile dysfunction, Low Sperm count, Paralysis, Stroke, Pains, Sickle cell, Rheumatism, Arthritis, etc
DANGERS OF CUPPING
Unlike the drugs, medicine and operations done by allopath, that has side effects, the cupping therapy is free from any side effects. However, cupping might have some side effects if not performed properly.
Hijama has no side effects as long as it is peformed properly